Florida State University has released a new and updated email policy
This message has been approved by Michael Barrett, Associate Vice President and Chief Information Officer, for distribution to all students, faculty and staff.
The policy outlines requirements regarding email account creation, deactivation and acceptable use, among other things, and identifies Information Technology Services as the official email service provider for university students and employees. Some policy highlights are:
- Primary email addresses for employees end with @fsu.edu
- Primary email addresses for students end with @my.fsu.edu
- Employees may use a secondary, unit-specific domain as an alias email address (e.g., @med.fsu.edu), but their primary address will remain @fsu.edu
- University-provided email addresses are to be used for all student and employee official university communications; external accounts, such as Gmail, should not be used for official university communications
- Employee access to email is disabled when an employee separates from FSU employment unless continued access is requested and approved by the employee’s department
- Supervisors may request filtered access to former employee emails
- Students may maintain access to their FSU email account for life
These and other important changes relating to the use of university email are reflected in the new email policy available online. Please direct questions regarding the policy to Ken Johnson, ITS Senior Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.